Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Evolution

As I mentioned previously, the father of parkour did not impress me much when I met him and talked to him. The man is living in Lisses, in the middle of nowhere, with his questionable girlfriend, spending large portion of his time on smoking weed, which doesn't really go with the whole "tracer is a person with strong body and strong mind" theory. And yes, David is barely 5.3 ft tall, which somehow irritates me more than anything else. Superheroes have to be tall and handsome, not short and constantly stoned out of their minds.

This promo video was shot by David Belle in Portugal in 2006.



Just to emphasize the fact that some students are better than their teachers, here is a video of my good friend, Sergey Valyaev. Credits for filming and montage go to my other friend, young genius Mikhail Serezhenkin. Both of them are members of Deviants team, one of the most promising Russian pk-teams.

(c) Deviants

I've met the guys from Deviants team the same year "Banlieue 13" came out in Russia. In all honesty, I think that these boys made more progress so far then their mentor. Do you see the difference between those two videos? Not counting the trick with a jump through a tiny window (Belle does that trick in every single video), the most impressive thing about the first clip - David is wearing a suit. But who knows, maybe the suit is a metaphor? Perhaps Belle is trying to let us know that he realized how fulfilling his life was, and now he wants to fit in with the working class people. I sincerely wish him luck and determination!

No comments: